Where are you ? Seems that I only remember vividly all the dreams and goals I want to realise in this life.
Attended a talk by a young couple yesterday and what really admires and touches me most was that, they are semi retired in their early 30s. Wow!
Hubby was a top scholar naval architect and wife was a manager in a 5 star hotel. They worked very hard in their initial working life. But a decision they made 5 years ago to build a business changed their life today. The wife's sharing really inspired me a lot. She is a very wise and hardworking woman. Despite her husband's objections initially, she saw the potential of the business and perservered in building it for their future. And today, can really feel that her husband really appreciates what she has done for their family.
I remember she says, "I want to be a stylish full time mom to my children but at the same time I also want to have earning power and still keeping in touch with society, without have to depend on a single income by my husband. I want to have my husband back home without looking and feeling tired everyday after work. A full time husband and daddy to their children." And she already achieved it in 2007, both of them are full time parents to their lovely daughters and at the same time earning residual income that can be pass down to their next generations.
There is no free lunch in this world, everyone has to work hard to achieve his dreams and goals in life. But making the right choice is much more important than the decision itself. There is a saying "There will be result for hard work, but not necessarily produces good result." Therefore, we must make the right choice before we bury our head to work hard for something. It's so true !
I have been always feeling insecured. Though we are living quite comfortably at the moment, but I always feel insecured to depend only on one single source of income in the family. A lot of "what if" going through in my mind.
"What if there is retrenchment?"
"What if there is another global downturn?"
"What if we are not able to earn? What will happen to next generation ?"
My hubby said I am a worry warts, which is true. I worry almost about everything. But in this situation, I am thinking further to the future. In 10,20 years' time, we will be in our 40s,50s. Can we survive another economic downturn by that time? There is no security at all, salary is fixed, but everything else is not. Inflation is getting higher and the value of money is getting smaller.
A retiree once shared that a $50 can only pays for his and his wife meal for 2 days. In 20 years' time, maybe can only last for a meal. His sharing strucked me there and then.
I guess it's time for me to get out of my comfort zone too doing something for the family and the children's future. 2 years passed by so quickly and so will next 20 years. I am so afraid that one day when I wake up, Val is already 20 years old and we have not prepared for her tertiary studies and at the same time, our retirement.
And there are so many things I want to do:
1. Travel round the world (at least 50 fav countries as there are close to 200 countries in the world) while I am still able to enjoy
2. A farmhouse in NZ hehehe....surrounded by all the nature and sheeps? Hahaha....this is the result of reading too much Enid Blyton's books since young.
3. A big scrap room cum movie and karaoke room? So I can scrap while watching movie and listening to hubby's singing :)
Those are some of my dreams which can make this lifetime more meaningful. Penned it down here so I can always come back to this page and remind myself ^_^
Wishing everyone a sweet dreams and enjoy the long weekend :P
Quote of the day:
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going
No comments:
Post a Comment